Zoom - Getting Started
Before you can host a meeting with Zoom, you must install the Zoom Desktop software on your computer/device.
Log In and Set Up
Zoom Web Portal:
Upon sign in you will be taken to your Profile page.
Highlights of this page are:
- Download here:
- First download and install the Zoom for Meetings
- Next download and install the Zoom Plugin for Microsoft Outlook. (Close Outlook before doing this step)
- After installing, open the Zoom software. You will see a log on screen, choose 'Sign in with SSO' option on the right hand side of that screen.
- When prompted, type 'heifer' in the box. Should read: heifer.zoom.us
- On Windows , browse to Zoom and click on "Settings" at the top right. Click on General and then check the box that says "Start Zoom when I start Windows".
- On Mac, right-click the Zoom app in the Dock, select Options > Open at Login.
Scheduling a Zoom Meeting
- Download the Zoom Outlook plugin from zoom.us/downloads
- Create a New Meeting in Outlook
- Click "Add Zoom Meeting"
- Input Zoom Details for the meeting and click "Continue"
- Update invitation details and hit "Send"
- Update invitation details and hit "Save"
- Click "Schedule" button on the Zoom App
- Input details for the meeting and click "Save"
- You can then copy the URL or Invitation or add to your calendar with available plug in
Details on additional features for scheduled meetings can be found here:
When starting/joining a meeting, you can join the audio by phone or computer.
- Choose "Join Audio by Computer" to connect your computers mic and speakers to the Zoom Meeting.You can test you Audio sources by using the "Test Computer Audio" link when joining.
- Choose "Phone Call" and dial the number provided.Enter in the Meeting ID and make sure to input the "Participant ID"
Clicking on the Mic icon will let you mute and unmute your audio once connected
Access Video settings before or during a meeting by clicking on the "Settings" icon on your Zoom Desktop Application.On the Video tab you can preview and change your camera source via the down arrow.
Clicking on the Video icon will let you start and stop your video feed
During a meeting, click "Invite" to send meeting information to more participants by email, Zoom chat, phone, or room system.
When hosting a Zoom meeting, you have additional controls available to help manage your participants. Attendees can only view the other participants.
- Click Share Screen
- Choose to share your; desktop, specific application, whiteboard, camera feed
- All participants in your meeting can share their screen
- During screen sharing you and your attendees can use the Annotation tools for drawing, pointing, highlighting, etc.
- Click "Chat" to start an in meeting message with participants in the meeting
- The dropdown on the chat window will allow you to message Everyone, or a specific participant
As a host you can record the meeting to either the Zoom cloud or your local machine.
- Click on the "Record" icon in the toolbar
- Choose to record to the Cloud or Local machine
- Recording will process once the meeting ends
A Few Last Things
Before the Meeting:
- Test your Audio and Video
- Make sure to choose the correct audio and video sources
- Have the content you intend to share prepared ahead of time
- Close applications that have pop ups
Hosting A Meeting:
- Mute your mic if others are presenting/speaking
- Use "Gallery View" for smaller group/team meetings
- Share your screen
- Share specific Applications to control displayed content
- Use "New Share" to seamlessly transition between shared applications.
- Use the Annotation tools to grab and direct attention
Turn the camera on!
- Put your webcam at eye level or higher – experiment for best angles
- Use the gestures and mannerisms that you would typically use in person
- Make Eye Contact - Try to look at your webcam versus the screen
Here are some great resources to take a deeper dive into using Zoom.